I have had tostadas for just about every day this week for lunch, but this doesn’t stop me from having them for breakfast. Tostadas are actually very easy to make. They are can be deep fried, baked, or pan fry them with a bit of oil.
I am going to take the pan fry route, mostly because I have no oven and I don’t want oil for breakfast.
The cool thing about tostadas is that there is no rule for these. You can top them with whatever your heart so desires. I am going to top them with some vegetables I think I should use up already, which includes a 5-pound bag of potatoes. You can make these vegan or vegetarian. Today I will make hell-yes-these-are-damn-tasty-tostadas that are vegan
What You’ll Need:
- Garlic breakfast potatoes
- Garlic powder
- Onion, chopped
- Bell pepper, chopped
- Oil/cooking spray
How To Make Breakfast Potatoes:
- Chop potatoes into small cubes.
- Boil potatoes over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, or until soft (but not mash-y).
- Remove potatoes and drain water.
- Add oil (just enough to cover) to skillet over medium heat. Add potatoes.
- Add 1/4 onion, 1/4 bell pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, or until soft.
- Add potatoes, some garlic powder, salt, and whatever seasonings you want.
- Cook and saute until potatoes are crispy and golden.
How To Make Tostadas:
- Add a bit of oil or cooking spray to pan over medium heat.
- Fry until golden brown on both sides.
- Put aside and let it cool.
How To Make Breakfast Beans:
- Basically, how I usually make my beans. Recipe here. You can use whatever beans you want by the way (red, pink, black, white, Bowl-of-Beans does not discriminate). I also dumped some garlic and onion powder into these beans to give them more of a bang!
How To Assemble The Damn Thing:
- Pretty much top it whatever you want.