I’ve got to admit, making this sandwich took a lot of effort. I no longer live in a city where I have access to Latin American foods from the Caribbean (Cuba, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, ect.) And what’s even more difficult is trying to find these foods that are either vegetarian or vegan.
This means I have to make mistakes, learn, and improve my recipes for my favorite dishes. By the way, I had a really difficult time finding Cuban bread in the Bay Area. If anyone can point me into the right direction, please comment below! If you’re wondering, I had to use french bread. And no, I can’t bake my own bread. A part of my cooking adventures is being creative, since I don’t have access to an oven.
Can anyone take a wild guess as to what I used for my “pork?” Well, I used jackfruit (it’s allll the craze). Here’s a tip: finding canned jackfruit is hella difficult. I stopped by three different grocery stores, and came home empty handed every single time. I decided to do some Google searching and I learned that I can find canned jackfruit in Asian stores. And I did. 🙂
This was my first time making this sandwich, and I think I did a pretty damn good job (pats back). I am always looking to improve – so let me know if you have any suggestions or tips for me!
What You’ll need:
- Cuban bread
- 1 canned young jackfruit in water
- 1 tablespoon of Mojo/Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper marinade
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup sweet onion
- Sandwich pickles
- Chao Creamy Original slices
- Tofurky Peppered deli slices
How To Make It Vegan “Pork”
The only cooking part we’ll have here is for the Cuban-style vegan “pork.”
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of sweet onion, chopped
- 1 can of young green jackfruit in water
- 1 tablespoon cup of mojo OR Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper marinade
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- Sazon/salt + pepper to taste
- Drain water from the canned jackfruit.
- Over low heat, add all ingredients and the jackfruit.
- Shred the jackfruit with a fork as it’s cooking.
- Cook for about 15 minutes or so in a simmer.
[optional] I also added a little bit of a fajita sauce to give it some of a smoky flavor. Jackfruit has a mild flavor, so you can do a lot with it. It’s not necessary to follow my recipe to the T. You may switch it out for other flavors and seasonings. The jackfruit will take the flavors of whatever you add to it.
How To Build Your Vegan Cuban Sandwich:
- Cut open a loaf of bread.
- Add mustard on both side.
- Add the jackfruit “pork”
- On top, add your deli slices
- Then add the chao cheese
- Top your layers with sandwich pickles
- Close that bad boy
To toast, I used a George Foreman. Grilling the sandwich on a stovetop works too.